About Diane Melendez, MA, LPC
Diane is able to assist her clients in finding a deeper meaning to their psychological struggles and help them along the path to recovery, thanks to her background as a neuroscientist and counselor with her contemplative and shamanic training. Diane also offers psychological evaluations in Spanish, for individuals applying for a U-Visa or VAWA.
Diane works primarily with adults coping with symptoms of trauma, anxiety and depression. Additionally, due to her own bi-cultural and bilingual experiences (English-Spanish), Diane enjoys working with individuals of diverse cultural backgrounds who may find it difficult to adjust to life in the United States.
Due to her education and values, Diane believes that an individual can promote healing and growth by balancing their objective and subjective experiences.
One way that Diane seeks this balance is by using shamanic practices and other spiritual rituals including symbolism, synchronicities and/or mindfulness exercises. These practices and rituals are used in combination with evidence-based techniques such as:
- Eye Desensitization Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT),
- Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Somatic Experiencing
- Non-Violent Communication (NVC) techniques
- Play and Art Therapy
Diane has extensive professional experience in school and community mental health settings offering group and family therapy, in addition to individual counseling services. Her professional background and qualifications include:
- Bachelors in Science
- Research Manager at the Institute of Neuroscience in Puerto Rico
- MA in Psychotherapy
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LCP)
- Thirteen years of Therapeutic experience
- Co-facilitator of Incredible Years Program
- Facilitator of Co-Parenting for Life class